AVIATION WEATHER DECISION SUPPORT SYSTEM
The company Weather Decision Technologies, Inc. (WDT) is the leading provider of weather decision support, offering innovative products, expert services and advanced industry experience in the spheres of hazardous weather detection and prediction, GIS, forecast modeling, state-of-the-art decision analytics, interactive mapping and modern mobile applications.
For the detection and prediction of weather hazards that are specific to the aviation industry operational meteorologists all around the world use the Aviation Weather Decision Support System (AWDSS), that represents one of the most renowned weather decision solutions created by WDT.
The AWDSS communicates the received data and processed information to meteorologists, air traffic controllers as well as other operational users and provides the flight operation centers and airports all around the world with real time weather monitoring, forecasting and upfront weather alerts, that are based on the state-of-the-art data analysis and cutting-edge hazard detection technologies.
The AWDSS can be customized to comply with the specific needs and requirements of different airports and flight operations centers. The AWDSS is a system of high flexibility as it can be integrated on-site with already existing meteorological data sources. There is also a possibility to enhance the system by adding new WDT or partner companies’ workstations or observation platforms.
The AWDSS weather hazard products include:
- Sea Breeze Fronts and Gust;
- Icing and Winter Weather;
- Low-Level Wind Shear;
The AWDSS is offered as a turnkey solution, integrating mesoscale modeling and nowcasting. The advantages and strong points of the system include:
- advanced automated algorithms for detecting and nowcasting meteorological phenomena with special focus on aviation hazards;
- accurate and reliable information on multiple aviation hazards;
- advanced mesoscale data assimilation and forecast system for beyond one hour forecasts;
- high temporal and spatial frequency operational planning forecasts with integrated rapid refresh mode;
- post-processing algorithms for generating general meteorological parameters and a host of aviation hazard forecast products;
- effective communication based on the display of information in an easy-to-understand format without overload of data;
- integrated robust tools that serve for instant communication of alerts to air operations staff and traffic controllers directly from meteorologists.